January 28, 2010

Comfort Food for a Cold, Snowy Night...




Today we received an unexpected surprise: snow!!  We were supposed to have some snow squalls; what we got was 3-4 inches of snow.  Winter has returned to the Northeast!  I decided I would make an old fashioned comfort meal for the crew.  Ryan was going to be out so I planned to make a meatloaf.  He is not a fan and my other 2 love it so this seemed the perfect time.  I am not  huge meatloaf fan either.  It's another one of those meals I never make the same way twice.  I always look at recipes and try to incorporate some new idea every time I make one.  I can't say I am ever thrilled, but tonight's dinner got a thumbs up from everyone.  And by everyone , I am including Ryan in the count. He walked in unexpectedly and I realized I needed to pull out all the stops to make the meatloaf attractive to him.  And what makes everything better? Bacon!!  So, out came the bacon!


Meatloaf
1 medium onion, chopped
2 lbs ground lean beef or meatloaf mix
2 eggs
2/3 cup crumbled saltines or bread crumbs
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tblsp ketchup
3 slices bacon


glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cider vinegar

Saute onion in small amount of olive oil until translucent. In small bowl, mix eggs, worcestershire sauce, ketchup,milk, salt, parsley, saltines(or bread crumbs).  Pour over meat  and mix. Form into loaf and place on baking sheet.  Mix glaze together and brush over meatloaf.  Lay slices of bacon on top.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Let sit for 10 mins when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment