January 24, 2010

The cure for the common cold.....

Chicken Soup! I decided to make some soup to cure Mart's cold!  I am not sure it will do the trick but at least I tried. :)  I am not sure about you, but I don't think I have ever made chicken soup the same way twice.  Each time I do something different and most times, it is yummy(my favorite word).  The very best chicken soup I have ever made is from The Silver Palate Cookbook.  Unfortunately, I was too lazy to make that today.  So, I boiled and chopped and the soup is ready and waiting for anyone who wants it!  Actually, Brittany has already tried it and has vouched for its tastiness!  The best news about chicken soup is that I don't think you can really ruin it! (today's recipe below). Tomorrow night I am trying a red sauce that all the foodies have been blogging about!  I can't wait to try it - it is supposed to be scrumptious!  I'll update you tomorrow night but I will leave you with this:  only 3 ingredients!



Susan's Chicken Soup


4 chicken breasts on the bone, no skin
6 carrots, sliced
5 stalks celery sliced
1 zucchini - sliced
1 large onion chopped
1 carton Swanson's Chicken Stock(not chicken broth)
2 handfuls thin egg noodles
Kosher Salt and Pepper

In large stockpot, cover chicken breasts with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and cook until chicken is done,about 30-40 minutes.   Remove chicken(set aside), strain broth and return to pot.  Add Chicken Stock, then carrots, celery, zucchini, onion and cook for approximately 20 minutes until vegetables are al dente.  Add back in chicken and 2 handfuls of uncooked egg noodles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cook until noodles are done, about 10 mins.  Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment