January 14, 2010

Do you fry?

I ask that question because tonight I am attempting "onion straws"!  I have never fried anything in my life.  I am not talking pan frying some steaks in a little butter on top of the stove... I am talking oil, hot at a specific temperature!  When I went to college in the south, my roommates used to fry french fries; I was always in awe. We northerners throw them in the oven.  Most of us have no idea how to fry anything.  (Don't get me wrong, we have our own vices.) To be honest, it's not on my bucket list.  But, for my boy, Will, I will try.  We are again in "replication mode" here.... I will report back tonight, unless I burn the house down, which is a distinct possibility!  (Any suggestions would be appreciated :))

1 comment:

  1. Here are my suggestions: Get out the oven mitts (put them on), get out a deep pot, put the kids in the family room, get out the baking soda and keep nearby. Make sure you only fill the pot up with enough oil to cover the onion straw and watch the pot! Don't leave the pot while frying -- the onions will brown (burn) quickly. Sounds yummy -- what time is dinner!

    ReplyDelete