January 19, 2010

Eating Real

Who would believe that frying some onion(and I mean frying) would lead to an epiphany?  Last week I mentioned Michael Pollan had a new book and he had talked about rules for eating. One of them was eat all the fast food you want, but make it yourself. His point was that if you had to go to all the trouble of making it, you would only eat it occasionally.  That point so spoke to me.  So much of the easy food we get out is so nutritionally crummy, we would never make it in our own homes.  Since then, I've been reading Pollan's books.  They are phenomenal!  His latest, Food Rules, is short and to the point. I really recommend everyone read it.  It is not really a diet book, but a way of life and a way of approaching what we eat.  The book is simply, 64 rules to live by in regard to eating. Easy, huh?  Some are rules we've heard before(shop the outer edges of the grocery store for the healthiest food), some we've never heard of and some we've heard but never really approached in the right way.  This week I've decided that each day I will post (in a separate post) a rule that I think is really thought provoking.  We'll see how it goes and hopefully, we'll get inspired together.  I am also going to carrying those thoughts into my cooking.  I don't imagine I will always succeed but there's even a rule for that !  So stay tuned and check in for healthy motivations.....and please, let me know what you think about these new "Food Rules".  Do they make sense to you? Motivate you ? Comments, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment