January 14, 2010

Fried Goodness...


Today Good Morning America had an author, Michael Pollan on.  They were discussing his food rules to eating right. One of his rules was that if you wanted fast food you had to make it yourself.  His reasoning was that it was so much work that you would make it occasionally instead of eating it all the time.  I am here to tell you he is soooo right!!! I made the Onion Straws tonight.  Were they good? Yes, they were.  Fried Goodness, as my son Ryan would say.  Am I ready to make them again soon?  No way!!!  What a mess!  And all that oil!  And then, what do you do with all that oil? I will not be rushing to make them again, anytime soon.  My kids loved them and  I also made "fatty melts" with them.  A night of decadence.  Fatty Melts are our copy of a burger served at Max Burger in West Hartford, Ct. Theirs is on 3 slices of bread.  We are cutting down so only had 2! :) Basically its a grilled cheese with a burger stuffed in the middle. When I was 16  and worked at Friendly's we called that a "setup".  Why? I have no idea.  It is yummy but it was hard to eat as I was still busy wiping the grease from the oil off me!  So, I've included my recipe below if you'd like to try Onion Straws. And, here's a picture so you can view our "fried goodness" for yourself! (I will say they were very light and crispy!)



Fried Onion Straws


2 onions, sliced thin
2 cups flour
Black and White pepper(I used quite a bit to give them some kick)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk(its all about the buttermilk !)

Slice onions, separate and soak in buttermilk for 2 hours.  Heat oil (canola) until hot(about 350 on thermometer) , dredge onions (removed from buttermilk) into flour mixed with salt and pepper , shake off excess and put in oil. They cook fast!  Stay at the stove!  Turn them after a few minutes. When brown remove and place on papertowels.  It will take about 4 batches to make all the onions.  They also cool fast but stay crisp.
That's it!  Now, what you do with the oil afterwards, I have no idea!!


2 comments:

  1. Funny that you posted this since I was going to email you today and tell you that you should read Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food. Maybe you already have. If not it will inspire you.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete