January 6, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


Tonight was Thanksgiving Dinner at our house.  Unfortunately, some of the "guests" did not show up.  By guests, I mean my husband, Mart and my oldest son, Ryan.  I was all set to cook the turkey today.  On his way out this morning, Ryan mentioned he wouldn't be home for dinner.  Yearbook meeting.  Way more important then my dinner.  I was still ok, figured that 4 out of 5 of us wouldn't be terrible.  Then about noon, the phone rang. My husband calling to say he was going out with some clients.  My first thought: THIS IS WHY I DON'T COOK!!!!!   But, seeing this is the new me, I plodded along.  A huge turkey breast went into the oven, I made some stuffing, some mashed potatoes and some broccoli(you've got to have something healthy in there).  I even broke out a can of cranberry jelly for Will who loves the stuff.  And so, at 6:15 tonight, my twins and I had Thanksgiving.   The good news about Thanksgiving... you know there's leftovers!!!  Can you guess what tomorrow night's dinner is ?

Since my dinner was fairly basic, I decided I needed a small dessert to go with it.  I am not a huge dessert maker.  A pie, some brownies, maybe a tart once a year.  That's about my repertoire!  (My sister, Beth has always been the cake-maker in our family, so I've never needed to master that skill!) I made a pound cake out of a Williams Sonoma Cookbook my sister-inlaw Gayle had given me years ago.Well, at least I started making it, then realized that I couldn't find my loaf pan.  I am 5'1", my husband is 6'4". When he empties the dishwasher things disappear onto shelves I will never see in my lifetime.  So, in the midst of mixing I had to run down to my neighbor Jeanne's for a pan.  It sure seemed like a lot of work for a little cake.  It was yummy though.  The kids put a scoop of ice cream on it and loved it! (see recipe below- very easy!)



I am still looking for a cheese fondue recipe!!

And finally, I will be "fixing up" my blog in the next few days - I've been told it's ugly. :(  Who knew green was not a good blog color?


Pound Cake
(from Williams- Sonoma Dessert)

1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs at room temp.
1/2 cup sour cream at room temp

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease 8/12 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan and dust with flour.
In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, using a mixer on medium, beat butter, sugar, vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat until blended.  Add half flour mix and fold in.  Then add sour cream.  Finally, still in other half of flour mixture.

Pour into pan and bake about 70 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out dry.  Cool on rack for 15 mins.  Run knife around sides and invert cake out of pan.  Let cake finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or room temperature.
Great with a cup of tea on a cold winter's night!  (And it's cold everywhere right now!)

1 comment: