January 12, 2010

Panini Time....

So, today I headed into Whole Foods in search of some good sourdough bread.  It's amazing what a difference good bread can make!  I love Whole Foods  - especially this time of year when fruit and vegetables are so weak and pale in the grocery stores.  Whole Foods' fruit always looks so good, no matter what time of year.  Today I went in armed with a small list, I didn't need much.  But....I cannot get out of that store without spending at least $75!!!    I swear it's something in the air, you just can't stop buying!  Subliminal messaging?  I did get the sourdough bread, but I also got 2 apple turnovers for the twins and a bunch of other stuff not on my list.  Oh well, at least I am still cooking ! :)

Tonight was Panini night. Will received a panini press for Christmas last year.  He is our closet cook and it was a good excuse to get our family a press!  We were in replication mode tonight.  A few years ago we were up on Cape Cod is this little "hole-in-the-wall" place.  Will had a panini that everyone loved.  (much to his chagrin as we all picked at it! ) We've worked at copying it and I think its as good or better! Take a look:


It only has few ingredients, but they have to be perfect!  First, good sourdough bread(best if you can have it sliced at the store). The filling is Fresh Mozzarella, Grilled Chicken and Honey Mustard.  We've tried it with packaged mozzarella and cold cut chicken or turkey, but it doesn't have nearly the same flavor.  I like to bake bone-in chicken breasts at 400 for 40 mins to use in the sandwiches.  As you can see, there's not much to it but I don't know anyone who hasn't loved it!    I also found some really delicious pineapple at Whole Foods today - I put it out as I was cutting it up and it was gone in about 5 minutes!


I think I am starting to get the hang of this.. although... if anyone would like to invite me to dinner, please call. (And call soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment