January 27, 2010

The Simplest is the Best...

Tonight  I am posting my dinner early as it is done!  Lucky me! And, happy me!! :)  A friend of mine is having some surgery so I am bringing her family dinner tonight.  This gave me the impetus to get it done early!  And, since I had my Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks out last night, I settled on making her Chinese Chicken Salad. The recipe can be found here.  Disregard the picture on the Food Network site - it doesn't go with the recipe!  Here's what it will look like before you dress it(and the dressing is amazing!).


So delicious with lots of chicken, asparagus and red peppers.  My house smells so good too from the chicken baking...and oh yes, the brownies.  I wanted to send over some dessert but wanted to keep things simple as well.  Something that if they didn't eat now, they'd enjoy tomorrow.  We've been slightly obsessed with brownies in my house.  I realized as I went to make them, I knew the ingredients by heart. I know what you're thinking, "Anyone can add 2 eggs and some oil to a mix!" But I have something easier then a box, a recipe!  Once you make brownies "from scratch" you wonder why we ever needed mixes in the first place.  I have a simple recipe.  It is actually my Grandmother's  recipe so it must be at least 100 years old.  I  make them in one bowl.  There's no strange ingredients in them, no chemical additives.  And they taste pure, clean, like a chocolate brownie should.  There's no aftertaste or strange flavor.  Roll the brownie around in your mouth and it tastes of chocolate and butter.  These aren't some extremely decadent, fudgy, huge creations.  These are plain and simple, brownies.  Simply delicious.... I dare you to make a batch today. You'll never buy a mix again...




Brownies

2 1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of nuts, chopped, optional

Melt butter and chocolate in over double boiler( I use the microwave!).  Cream in sugar, salt, vanilla, add eggs and beat.  Add flour and baking powder.  Add nuts, if using.  (I sometimes  throw in a good handful of chocolate chips here)
Bake in greased  8 x 8 pan at 325 for about 18-20 minutes.  Cut into squares when cool.

Could it be any easier?!!!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Swanson! The salad was delicious, and I just had my third brownie. Fortunately, those AMAZING brownies are gone, otherwise my chocoholism and utter lack of self-control would have put me on a slippery slope.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete