January 10, 2010

Soup's on!!

Tonight was definitely a night to stay home, start a fire (in the fireplace, not the kitchen!) and have some comfort food. The muffins made it to dinner(with a few stolen by someone in my house) and I made a delicious Carrot Soup to go with them.  I love this soup, it tastes creamy but it is the rice, not cream that gives it that consistency.  This is one of those recipes I think half my town has.  A friend emailed me the recipe recently and I realized that I had already received it from 2 other people.  That tells you just how yummy it is!  I may even have enough to feed a few of us tomorrow night.


On another note, we made it through the weekend without looking at a restaurant.  :)  I am feeling quite virtuous!  (It's all about me, you know) What I did miss, and we have to work on replicating is more "social time" at dinner.  Having teenagers, offering a dinner out is also a way to bribe them into spending time with you!  We had great dinners this weekend but once the kids were done they wandered off to do their own things.  We did watch a movie together last night but I like the conversations we have when we are out. :)  Something else to work on.... but my bank account grows!

Carrot Soup


1 Large Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Butter
Approx 35 Oz Ckn Broth
1 pound carrots
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
3/4 TBSP Dried Dill
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp white pepper

Saute onion in butter 3-4 mins until translucent and tender.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from the heat and let cool for 15 mins.  In 2 batches, put into blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Note: You may need to thin soup a little with chicken broth.  I like to use Swanson's Cooking Stock.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by at my blog and following at twitter Susan!
    This creamy carrot soup looks delightful :)

    All the best,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete