January 25, 2010

Unbelievably good!

Dinner tonight was fantastic!  And so, so easy!  I had been reading about this tomato sauce from Marcella Hazan.  The foodies all seemed to love it. Originally, I found it on Amateur Gourmet.  It looked good. Then I saw it again on Smitten Kitchen. Looked even better.  So, tonight was the night I decided to try it.  3 simple ingredients(well, 4 if you count a little salt I added).  1 can of tomatoes, 1 onion, 5 tablespoons of butter.  That's it!  No basil, no olive oil and no....parmesan.  Unbelievable.  But let me tell you, everyone in my house loved it!  The flavor is quite different.  It seems to have a lightness but somehow more depth then the usual red sauce. And, did I mention it was so easy?!  Put the can of tomatoes in a pot, add the butter, then cut the onion in half and put in pot. That's it!


This is definitely a keeper in my house.  My son finished dinner and said, "We need to have this more often. "  That about sums this one up! Try it, I promise you, you'll wonder why its taken you so long to find this recipe!



Marcella Hazan's Simple Tomato Sauce


1 can whole tomatoes. (I used San Marzano from Whole Foods)
1 medium onion(sliced in half)
5 tablespoons butter
salt (if desired)

In heavy saucepan, add can of tomatoes, onion halves, butter(and salt).  Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes uncovered.  Stir occasionally and mash tomatoes against the pot with a wooden spoon.  Remove and discard onion before serving.  (This is enough sauce for a light coating on 1 pound of pasta)
Bon Appetit!!

3 comments:

  1. My girlfriend Joanne has made this for me as her Mom made it for them while they were growing up -- one difference was she used the whole stick of butter! I remember it being delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you enjoyed the recipe. This easy and delicious sauce is a staple in our home!

    We tend to keep the onion in as it gets tender and sweet during the cooking. The children often vie for who gets the most pieces.

    Enjoy.

    Lael Hazan
    @educatedpalate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't I think to do that?! Thank you so much for your comment! Now, I will just have to make it again next week!!:)

    ReplyDelete