February 2, 2010

Bone Suckin'?

Well, that's what the label says!  Tonight was Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Broccoli Slaw.  My boys don't love broccoli but make into a slaw and they are happy as clams!  In my "keep it simple" mode,  I put the pork into the crock pot at 930 this morning.  I am not a big crock pot user, in fact this is about the only meal I make in it.  I always think everything comes out a little "mushy".  But of course, pulled pork is supposed to be soft and gooey.  My secret recipe couldn't be easier:  I use a lean pork roast(I usually ask the butcher to cut any fat away - I don't like to see the fat), put it in the crockpot on low, add 1/2 jar of Bone Suckin' Sauce(honest, that is what its called!).  I cover it and don't look at it again dinnertime!  Does it get any easier?  When we are ready to eat, I take out the pork, shred it with 2 forks and spoon some more sauce on top. Tonight I toasted some Multi-Grain Rolls. Dinner is served. :)  To add to the enjoyment, I throw together(literally) the broccoli slaw.  I buy the broccoli slaw in the grocery store - it is in the produce department with the packaged cole slaw. It is sliced up broccoli with a little sliced carrots and sliced red cabbage. Then I just add my ingredients and it is ready to go. A little crunchy, a little sweet, a little savory - the perfect side dish!  If you wanted to be really lazy, you could just add cole slaw dressing to it but I find it's easier to just mix my own.  Served on the side, it's a hit, but I've noticed that it usually ends up on top of the pulled pork.  A great combo!

Broccoli Slaw

1 10oz Package Broccoli Slaw(I use Nature's Promise Organic from Stop and Shop)
1/4 cup craisins
1/2 granny smith apple, cut into small pieces

Dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 TBlsp white vinegar
1 Tblsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Mix dressing, pour over Broccoli, craisins and apple. Mix well and serve or refrigerate


No comments:

Post a Comment