February 17, 2010

The Burger and Fry Craving

Tonight I shoveled a path on my patio out to the grill. I wish I could say that I wanted the exercise or that I was such a devoted mother, I wanted to grill their burgers.  But truthfully, it was my laziness that got me shoveling.  I didn't want to have to clean the broiler pan!  Grills are the greatest gift!  I love closing the grill when I am done and walking away.  :)  So, out I went, in the dark and the snow to grill the burgers I was cooking.  Will has been asking for burgers (he wasn't here for Superbowl Sliders) and tonight was the night.  Keeping in my healthy theme, I used 90% lean grass fed beef. I also added a few chopped leeks to the meat.  They add a little very light onion flavor and dimension to the burger.  The kids had theirs on whole wheat buns and the grownups had theirs on whole wheat pita.  I also decided that I would make french fries.  If you've been reading my blog, you know I had a stressful time with the onion straws.  Frying is not for me!  A girl's got to know her limits.  I made tonight, what I think, and the kids even agree are the best healthy fries! They even ask me to make these.  They're baked but so crispy that you don't even realize it.  They have a lot more potato flavor then a fast food french fry but they are just as addictive.  ( I threw the few left down the disposal so I wouldn't be tempted!) Don't they look good?

And here's the more healthy version:


All in all, it was a good "fix" for a burger and fries craving.  I think I am even comfortable counting those potatoes as a vegetable!

French Fries(Healthy!)

Medium Russet Potatoes(I use 2 per person)
1/2 Tblsp Olive Oil per medium potato
Kosher Salt 
Pepper

Preheat oven to 425
Wash and slice potatoes. Don't peel - its good for you!  Slice the potatoes any way you'd like. I like to make them the size of typical french fries as my kids don't even miss the frying this way.  Dry the potatoes.(Dry them well, this step is crucial) I wrap them in paper towels and blot away.  Place in large bowl add olive oil, salt and pepper.  Be generous with the salt!  Toss well and place on cookie sheet.  (I use either foil, parchment or a silpat so I don't have to clean the pan.)  Bake for approximately 30 minutes, turning halfway through.  Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment