February 28, 2010

Tostados!

Tonight was Mexican.  But, I decided that tacos were too typical.  I must admit, I am not a big mexican fan  nor do I do much mexican cooking. My kids absolutely love it though and I thought I would try something new.  Which meant it could be a good dinner or we could be calling for pizza(or eating cereal) depending on how it went!  I am happy to report dinner was a success!  Everyone loved it, even though they weren't sure what it was.  It was my version of Chicken Tostados.  I wouldn't call it authentic but it was very simple and very tasty!  Probably wouldn't win any mexican cooking awards but an empty platter at dinner is a good thing! The one interesting component of the dinner was that I pan fried the corn tortillas.  They really were wonderful and so much better then those on the shelf.  Definitely worth the extra step. 

Chicken Tostados(serves 3)

6 corn tortillas
canola oil
1 lb Chicken cutlets, sliced thin for stir fry
Newman's Own Garden Salsa(lots of veggies)
2 small tomatoes, diced
cheddar cheese, freshly grated

For Tostado Shells:

Preheat oven to 225. Heat about 1/8 inch of oil in frying pan.  Heat oil to almost smoking. One at a time, fry corn tortillas in pan, turning when brown(approximately 1 minute on each side).  Place on paper towel lined plate and then put in oven to stay warm.



In clean non stick pan, saute chicken strips until browning, add a good amount of salsa and continue to cook. (Pan should be "saucy").  Cook for 4-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.  Remove tostado shells from oven and turn oven dial to broil.  Assemble tostados:  divide chicken mixture on shells.  Add diced tomatoes and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Place in broiler for 2-3 minutes to just melt cheese.  




No comments:

Post a Comment