March 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Currant Cookies

Does everyone like Chocolate Chip Cookies? It certainly seems that way. As my awareness of what we eat has grown, I have somehow developed an aversion to buying store bought cookies. Too many unknown ingredients with too many strange names. Unfortunately for my kids, I don’t bake cookies too much either. So, you know what that means....not too many cookies in the house! Some may think that is a good thing, but with 3 teenagers, I hear a lot of complaints. And a lot of whining. It’s amazing that even a 14 year old can whine effectively! So, today I decided I would be “the world greatest mom”.(This is how I like to refer to myself! :)) But, I only had about 45 minutes in which to become this. I settled on throwing together some quick chocolate chip cookies. I like to put currants or raisins in mine. Besides being healthy, I love the extra texture and sweetness they add. And I love brown sugar so these have a good amount. They came out of the oven crispy and delicious and by the time the kids walked in the door, they were still slightly warm and gooey in the middle. Plus, I even had some to pack for lunches today. The kids were thrilled. (Although my elevated state did not last long:( ) I highly recommend you try these this weekend; just don’t eat all the dough before it goes in the oven! Wouldn’t you like to be greeted by these?
DSC_0430

Chocolate Chip Currant Cookies(based very loosely on Toll House Cookie Recipe)

2 1/4 cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Butter(Very, very soft)
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Currants(or Raisins)

Preheat oven to 375. In small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In large mixing bowl with mixer set on medium high, cream butter(soft almost to the point of melting) and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs, beating each egg into mixture. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture just until fully integrated. Fold in chips and currants. Drop by large teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookies sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes until browning. Cool on baking rack (and try not to burn your mouth when you sample!)

No comments:

Post a Comment