March 2, 2010

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

And I do mean grilled!  Here's my proof I'm keeping it real:


Can you see me in the dark?  Yes, I am out in what's left of the snow, grilling my chicken!! It was worth the cold and of course, no pan to scrub.  There is nothing like chicken right off the grill. Especially in a cool salad, the combination is so yummy and enticing. Besides needing to put the chicken on the grill, I had everything prepared this afternoon so when I walked in from driving carpools tonight dinner could be ready in under 15 minutes.  Got the romaine lettuce washed and in bowl.  Grated the parm into the lettuce.  Made the croutons.  Made the croutons again(kids came home and ate them all.)  Really, I could have just served croutons and lettuce tonight with a little dressing and they would have been happy.  The croutons were to die for.  I used brioche rolls and purposely left on the crusts..... a little olive oil, kosher salt and lots of pepper and they were ready to go in the oven:


While the croutons were in the oven, I quickly put together my dressing and left it in the fridge until later.  It was so good, but just a disclaimer:  no eggs and only 1 very small clove of garlic.  I don't like a lot of garlic(nor do I like everyone reeking of it) so I don't use a lot. If you are a garlic glutton, use a big clove!!
Either way, try this salad -it is so much better then anything you will get out!

Chicken Caesar Salad

In large bowl, place torn, clean, romaine leaves from one large head of lettuce. Grate a good amount(at least 1/2 cup) of fresh parmesan cheese.  Add croutons*, 2 large sliced grilled chicken breasts and dressing**.  Toss salad!

*Croutons

3 brioche rolls cubed(makes about 6 cups)(Or leftover Italian Bread)
2 tblsp olive oil
Kosher Salt
Pepper

Toss cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper and lay on cookie sheet in single layer. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.  Let cool and put aside.(Hide these if you want to have any left !)

**Dressing

2 tblsp mayonaise
1tblsp + 1tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 small clove of garlic
1/2 tsp Worcestershire 
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil(I used something in between!)

In blender mix all ingredients except oil.  With blender on low, add oil in slow, steady stream. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (If refrigerating, take out for 10 minutes before using and blend again.)





No comments:

Post a Comment