March 29, 2010

Retro Monday's Chicken Divan

Since we are beginning Retro week, I figured what better way to start then with a casserole. I actually love casseroles: one dish, prepared ahead of time, easy cleanup. What more can you ask? Well, maybe a good tasting meal would be good too! Tonight I broke out the Chicken Divan recipe. Chicken Divan holds a special place in my heart. Many moons ago, it was one of the first(and only) meals Mart ever made for me. Why a 23 old ever thought to make this, I don’t know! But I do remember that it was so good. My one issue tonight was that I didn’t want to use Cream of Anything soup. I just don’t like that big clump of something that comes out of the can. So, I just eliminated it. And honestly, I don’t think anyone missed it. This isn’t the most low cal recipe but it was so good to see the kids lapping up the broccoli(I am not even sure it registered what they were eating, the sauce was so good). It was also so good to have to only pop this in the oven and make some rice when it was time to eat. I’m thinking its time to bring Retro back in style!

DSC_0447

Chicken Divan(serves 4-6)

1.5- 2 pounds chicken tenders
1 large package of Broccoli Florets(Frozen - I used Cascadian Farms Organic)
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 sour cream
1/2 lemon
chicken broth to thin sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup bread crumb - preferably fresh or panko
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Roast chicken tenders in oven at 400 for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Shred meat. In 9 x12 pan, place broccoli(still frozen) in layer. Place shredded meat on top. In small bowl, whisk mayo, lemon and sour cream. Use chicken broth to thin sauce if neccessary (should be just slightly pourable). Pour over chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle cheese on top. Melt butter and pour in bread crumbs. Stir until well mixed. Sprinkle over cheese. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling. Serve over rice for a complete dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment