March 28, 2010

Rice Pudding

To start off Retro Week, I decided to make Rice Pudding. I must confess that I am not a big fan. Or at least wasn’t. I tried making this recipe a few weeks ago and it just disappeared in my house. Everyone, including me, loved it. I made it as a treat for my husband as I knew that he loved it. I think the kids loved it more then him! This is definitely a decadent treat. Some rice, milk, cream, sugar and raisins combine for a creamy sweet treat. This was so good I would serve it to company. Its a very easy recipe; just give yourself sometime to make it, you need to keep stirring, stirring, stirring!

DSC_0441

Rice Pudding(adapted from America’s Best Kitchen)

1 cup long grain rice
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 cup + 1 tblsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon

In large pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil, add rice, cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes(until water is mostly absorbed). Add milk, half and half, and sugar. Continue cooking on low to medium heat, stirring frequently until pudding thickens and spoon just stands up in pot. (This took about 25 minutes). When thickened, stir in vanilla and raisins. Remove from heat and transfer to glass bowl. Lay plastic wrap directly on top of pudding and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature or chilled. (Or be completely over the top and add whipped cream!) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment