March 3, 2010

A Variation on Spaghetti



Doesn't this look good? This was our dinner tonight... or some of ours.  I wanted to use the meat sauce I had in the freezer from a few weeks ago.  (I know what you're thinking...didn't they have sauce last week?)  I was determined that we were having spaghetti this week because last week I bought a spaghetti squash and didn't use it.  $9.43 worth of spaghetti squash!!! So, tonight I made "real" spaghetti for the kids and the adults had spaghetti squash(that's it, in the above picture). It was so delicious!  I really didn't miss the pasta at all!  I am feeling quite virtuous, in fact. :)  The kids were adamant that they weren't eating it, but I think next time I will try it for everyone.  If you are wondering how I made the squash... I put the whole thing in the oven at 375 for almost an hour.  Then I took it out, scooped out the seeds and took a fork to it, scraping out the squash, which comes out in strands just like spaghetti.  My only complaint.... it made a ton($9.43 gets you a lot of squash!) If you're on a health kick, give it a try...it makes a great pasta substitute.  

Speaking of health kick, we have one slight problem here:  I just bought an ice cream maker. Stay tuned for tomorrow night's indulgence!

3 comments:

  1. You can also use the microwave -- put the whole squash in the microwave on high for 5 to 10 minutes and takes yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spaghetti squash so delicious idea and more for kids :)

    Cheers,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spaghetti squash! I came home a while ago and my husband asked what I was fixing for dinner. I said "spaghetti squash and quinoa meatballs." He laughed!

    When I brought him his plate, he took one look at it, set it down and went on Twitter:

    "My wife said we were having spaghetti squash with quinoa meatballs. I thought she was joking. She wasn't!"

    ReplyDelete