April 21, 2010

Amazing Toffee Bars

Tonight was an easy dinner... simple tomato sauce, salad and bread(for the carbaholics in my family). Will mentioned that he would like Toffee Bars. Now, I don't think he has ever had a Toffee Bar! He saw it in a magazine somewhere and decided that it looked good. This got me thinking about some really delicious Toffee Bars I have had from a recipe in The Silver Palate Cookbook. The only issue was the walnuts; the bars are covered with them. No one in my house likes them. And unfortunately, the younger kids are not nut fans of any kind. I needed something else to put on top of these bars. Coconut, too...white. M and M's .... too typical. Marshmallows...too sweet. But then, the perfect idea came to me..... toffee pieces! I'm a genius, aren't I? :) The bars are delicious. They are so easy to make(isn't everything I do?) and look like you spent a lot of time on them. These would be great to bring to a party or a pot luck. Buttery goodness is how my oldest described them! Does anyone not like buttery goodness?!!!

DSC_0526

Toffee Bars (adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook)

2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
3 Skor bars, frozen and broken into pieces(use rolling pin)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 12 baking pan. Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl. Add egg yolk and beat again. Whisk flour and gently add to mixture. Stir in vanilla. Spread mixture into pan and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with chocolate chips. Return to oven for 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from oven and spread melted chocolate. Let cool for 10 minutes and then sprinkle Skor Bar pieces on top. Cool completely before cutting. (This is an important part... don't cut before cool or the bars will crumble. Don't ask how I know this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment