April 14, 2010

Crunchy Cookies

DSC_0504

Ok, this isn't the cookies! Actually, this was a burger we ate for dinner last night. Ryan insisted I put it in the blog as the kids proclaimed these the best burgers they ever had. Especially coming from Ryan, this is a big award; he is burger aficionado! I am not a big fan of lots of ingredients added to burgers, I always think they end up tasting like meatloaf. Last night I added leeks to the meat though and it was such a great flavor addition, I think I will always do this. For 2 pounds of meat I used one whole leek, washed and chopped. Then I just mixed it into the meat with my hands and lightly pattied them. Leeks are the perfect addition; a mild slightly sweet taste, not overpowering like an onion. Even Will, who doesn't like onions very much loved these. I like that the leeks added just a little something extra; I will be sure and make these burgers next time we have company for a cookout!

But, back to the Crunchy Cookies. This recipe has been floating around my street for a while. I loved the idea of them: whole wheat flour, corn flakes, and oats but I always felt like they needed just a little more flavor. This past weekend I changed the recipe around a few times and really love the new formulation. They disappeared from my kitchen in no time, the kids just devoured them! If you are leery of the whole wheat flour, let me assure you that you will never know that it is whole wheat and not white flour in the cookies. They are wonderful right out of the oven, crisp around the edges and soft inside. I also love them the 2nd day(if you can keep them that long) as the flavors really come out after they have sat for while. These are quick, easy and so, so good!!

DSC_0493

Crunchy Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup old fashioned Oats
1 cup Corn Flakes
1/2 cup sweetened Coconut
1/4 cup raisins & 1/4 cup craisins
(or use 1/2 cup raisins)

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream butter in mixer on low. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat again. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and powder, and salt. Add in 2 additions, mixing quickly in between(do not over beat). Stir in corn flakes, oats, coconut, and dried fruit.

Line cookie sheets with parchment. Drop by tablespoon or small ice cream scoop onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes until just starting to brown. (Undercooked is better then overcooked; they will dry out).

No comments:

Post a Comment