April 7, 2010

How Brownies Saved Me.....

Today my kids walked in from school at the same time I returned home. They were hot, tired and both of them lay spread eagle on the floor(this was for effect, I am sure). After whining about how boring and hot school had been they proceeded to check out the snacks in the pantry. Unfortunately, I have not been good about keeping snacks in the house. So, now I had to hear that there was nothing to eat, they were starving, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't stand it. It was going to be a long afternoon. Did I mention that these are not toddlers but 14 year olds?! I said the first thing that came to mind, "Brownies." Wow, suddenly everyone had a smile on their face. "Great," they said, "We'll go start our homework." Are you kidding? I couldn't believe it was that easy! 10 minutes later I had the brownies in the oven(recipe is in recipe book above). Since I really am running for mother of the year, I decided to add my "icing". Don't they look good?

DSC_0490

They were gobbled down so quickly that I had to hide them so that I would have some for lunches tomorrow. The icing really dresses them up and couldn't be easier. All I do is lay Hershey Bars on top(about an inch apart) of the brownies as soon as they come out of the oven. In about 2-3 minutes, the chocolate is completely spreadable. Normally, I let them cool and the chocolate hardens up but today there was no waiting. Milk was poured and brownies had to be cut. The kids spent the next 2 hours working with no whining, no complaints. My afternoon was saved. Who would have thought Brownies could have this much power?!

1 comment:

  1. Bizarre for commenting I landed here you'd integrate the comments of the 2 blogs.
    Anyway please send all the brownies leftovers….

    ReplyDelete