April 12, 2010

Leftovers....


DSC_0502

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you may remember the purge of my freezer. I got rid of most everything in it, especially meat that was no longer identifiable. I declared then that I was not a freezer girl; food went in but rarely came out. It had become this huge vat of frozen wasteland. Since the purge I have worked to keep only items that I use in the freezer: frozen fruit for smoothies, ice cream(the essential), homemade chicken broth, some leftover soup. I will tell you that I love opening my freezer and seeing space. Everything looks so neat and tidy, I actually get a weird thrill when I open it. (I realize that this may be cause to see a psychologist!) Also neatly stacked in the freezer were two kinds of pasta sauce: some leftover Vodka Sauce and some of Marcella Hazan's Simple Tomato Sauce. So, tonight I served up both sauces and let everyone decide what they were in the mood for. It was a great easy dinner and I felt so virtuous, the dinner cost me virtually nothing. I also have a little more room in my freezer! Leftovers I actually used.... a huge accomplishment in my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment