April 1, 2010

Retro Thursday's Cornflake Crusted Chicken

Tonight should have been takeout pizza. Oh, that would have made me so happy. No cooking, no mess. But there’s not much retro about pizza is there? I just felt too guilty to order a pizza. Three months into this and I am consumed by shame if I order out! I am not sure if this is good or bad, but Cooking to Save has definitely become the norm in our house. I tend to be one of those all or nothing people, so that doesn’t help. I’m on the plan or I’m off. The problem arises when I am off. My guess is that I could fall off the wagon in a big way. If I suddenly start writing about ordering out and eating out frequently with some great justifications, you’ll know I’m in trouble! But for now, I am plugging along. So, to stay in theme, tonight was Cornflake Crusted Chicken. Anybody remember this one? I lightened it up by soaking the chicken in buttermilk before coating instead of butter. The tenders were tender!! :) Really delicious and I served some honey mustard on the side for the kids. With some mashed potatoes and green beans, it felt like were living in the 70’s! This recipe is a keeper though; it’s also a great substitute for chicken fingers.

DSC_0461

Cornflake Crusted Chicken(serves 6)

2 lbs chicken tenders
1pint buttermilk
4 cups cornflakes(crushed with a rolling pin in ziploc bag)
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp pepper(depending on how spicy you like it)
2 tsp paprika

Pour buttermilk over tenders in bowl and soak for 1/2 hour. In the meantime, prepare coating. In bag, crush cornflakes. Add salt, pepper, paprika and shake to mix. Preheat oven to 400 and grease 9x11 dish. After 1/2 hour drain tenders and take 2 or 3 at a time and toss in bag of flakes, pressing flakes into chicken. Place in pan. Continue until all are coated. Cook for approximately 20 minutes just until cooked through. Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce or ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment