April 11, 2010

Simple Apple Tart

My mom makes what she refers to as an open faced apple pie. Basically, it's an apple pie without a top crust. So easy and so delicious. Tonight I decided that I would make an Apple Tart, which is my version of the open faced pie. The puff pastry makes it even simpler then making a pie crust. If you keep a box of puff pastry in the freezer, you can always have a tart on the table in no time. I informed everyone that this would be my last Apple anything until fall! I love apples but I am always happy when spring comes and berries come into season. Apples are my winter "go to" fruit. Come spring and summer, its berries and peaches. So tonight we had a mix of spring and fall. Grilled chicken and a big salad and a simple Apple Tart. Judging from the crumbs left, everyone enjoyed it! This tart took me under 15 minutes to put together and the house still smells good! Try it, you will love this one!

DSC_0498

Simple Apple Tart

1 sheet puff pastry(folded and thawed)
3 Apples(Macintosh or Cortland)
3 Tblsp sugar
1/2 Tblsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg yolk, beaten mixed with 1 tbslp water
1 1/2 tblsp butter
2 tblsp apple jelly

Preheat oven to 375. Do not unfold pastry. When thawed roll out on lightly floured board to 8x12 rectangle. Take sharp knife and trim to a rectangle. Move to a cookie sheet. While preparing apples, place pastry in freezer. Peel, core and slice apples (approximately 1/8 inch thick) Place in large bowl and toss with sugar, flour and cinnamon. Remove pastry and score with knife a 1/2 inch border. Brush inside the border with egg wash, then place apples on top. Dot with butter and bake 30-40 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven. Melt apple jelly in microwave and brush on top of apples. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment