April 9, 2010

Tarragon Chicken Salad Lettuce Cups

Years ago, when I was pregnant with my twins, a friend brought me some leftover Tarragon Chicken Salad she had made. Being 8 months pregnant with twins, with a toddler running around, I was thrilled to not have to think about making dinner. I so loved the salad and raved about it so much(I probably went a little overboard) that she often brought it to me. I had forgotten about the salad until last year in the middle of the summer when I was searching for something cool to make on a hot night. I improvised on the ingredients and it turned out just as I remembered. Since then I have made it often and have tweaked the ingredients each time. I love grapes in my salad so I just added them. To lighten things up tonight I am serving the chicken salad in small lettuce cups. The kids love them because they can still pick them up and eat the lettuce cups like a sandwich. Alongside a fruit cup they are a perfect Friday night dinner. I am thrilled because it is exactly 3:49pm and I have dinner done and ready to go!

DSC_0494

Tarragon Chicken Salad Lettuce Cups serves 4-5

4 split chicken breasts- bone in
splash of olive oil
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 -1 cup green grapes sliced in half(to preference)
2-3 stalks of celery, sliced 1/4 inch wide
1/2 cup mayo
1/3 sour cream(I like light)
1 tblsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp salt
3 tblsp sliced almonds
1 head boston bibb lettuce

Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken on foil lined pan, sprinkle with olive oil and kosher salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool. In the meantime, slice celery and grapes. In a separate small bowl, whisk mayo, sour cream, tarragon, and salt. Cube chicken and place in bowl with grapes and celery, pour mayo mixture over and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours(tarragon flavor will intensify). Before serving, separate chicken salad into lettuce cups. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment