April 6, 2010

Tomato Basil Tart

Tonight I was going to write about how uninspired I've become. Because, I am really, really dull these days. I've been trying to adapt to crazy spring sports schedules with the kids and I am not a good adapter! Dinner now really needs to be done before the afternoon is over .. or at least planned in detail. This is how I get into trouble. I procrastinate( I am really good at that) and then I end up picking something up because I have run out of time. I have not gotten that bad yet. Instead, my meals have been dull, dull, dull. Tonight was hamburgers and watermelon. No one was home before 730 in my house and everyone was starving. But I have new inspiration courtesy of my BFF Jeanne. (Trust me, you will all be asking for her number to become her BFF after this one!) Jeanne made us the most "absolutely delicious" Tomato Basil Tart. I can't even say we ate it .....we consumed it, with gusto! This was so, so good, words cannot describe. My kids stood around the counter as the burgers cooked on the grill and fought over the tart. No one even cared when the burgers came off the grill, the tart was so filling. This tart reminded me of why I try to be creative with my meals. There is so much more joy in eating something fresh and different vs. the old humdrum. Believe me when I tell you : You MUST make this tart! If you are really feeling it, make 2 like Jeanne did and show some love to a friend!!

DSC_0489

Tomato Basil Tart

1 refrigerated unbaked piecrust(or make your own!!!)

1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

5 Roma tomatoes

1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves

3 cloves garlic

1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/4 cup grated asiago cheese

1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

Fresh basil leaves (optional)

Place uncooked pie shell in 9 inch pie plate. Flute edges. Line shell with double layer of foil and bake at 450 for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake 4 minutes more until crust is set and dry. Remove pie from oven and reduce heat in oven to 375. Sprinkle crust with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Let pie crust cool slightly. Cut tomatoes into wedges and drain on paper towels. Arrange tomato wedges over cheese in tart. Rough chop basil, mince garlic, and combine with mayo, asiago cheese, remaining mozzarella cheese and pepper. Spoon mixture over tomatoes, spreading to cover. Bake in 375 for 35-40 minutes until bubbly and browning. Garnish with basil leaves and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment