April 20, 2010

The Ultimate Cobb Salad

DSC_0521

Tonight's dinner is done! We are having the absolutely, best Cobb Salad! Every time we have it, there is not a morsel left. No matter how big it is, it just disappears. It's a great dinner as it is very hearty even though it is a salad. The boys in my house especially love it. I can't take credit for this salad either, my son, Will made the whole thing. The only help he got from me was that I grilled the filets. The filets really make this salad special. I hate salad with tough meat! Who wants to be sawing at the meat while trying to eat a nice salad? I know you are thinking, filet mignon on a salad? Not cheap! But actually, it is not that expensive the way I buy the filets. I like them very thin so they cook up quick and are easy to slice into the salad. I ask the butcher to slice them for salad about 3/4 of an inch thick. For my family of 5, about a pound works for us. That is actually more then enough meat, with all the other protein sources on the salad. You could easily substitute chicken, shrimp, salmon or another steak and this salad would be great. Wanting perfection though? Stick with the filet mignon!!

Cobb Salad (serves 4- 6)

1 large head of Romaine Lettuce- chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
8 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups croutons (homemade if possible)
2 avacados- chopped
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese - grated
2 tomatoes- chopped
1 pound Filet Mignon, sliced thin

On large platter or salad bowl place chopped lettuce. In lines, assemble ingredients. Pour dressing over and toss to serve.

Dressing:

1/4 Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
3/4 cup oil
salt and pepper

whisk vinegar and mustard into bowl. Pour oil slowly in while whisking vigorously. Season with salt and pepper.





No comments:

Post a Comment